Fall Restaurant Trend Series: Customer Insights
— Mike Ganino | Mike is a restaurant veteran having served as COO at Protein Bar and in key roles at Yum! Brands, Lettuce Entertain You, and Potbelly Sandwich Shop. An in-demand speaker and trainer on restaurant and hospitality industry, Mike advises ChowNow on developing the strongest online ordering solutions for restaurants.
It’s hard to believe with the still soaring temperatures in most of the country right now–but Fall is right around the corner. It’s time to start planning your calendar and giving thought to Fall restaurant trends and how those impact your brand. In the first post in this series, we shared some fun Fall food ideas from Chef Phil Fox with you. In this second post, I wanted to share some of the things your customers might be up to so you could align your business.
Here are my Top 5 Restaurant Tips for Fall:
- Game Day Options: Football season is here–and is a built in marketing tactic for you. If you’re restaurant has a TV, make sure your customers know the game schedule and organize viewing parties around it. Share on Facebook, in-store, and with you email list! If you offer carry-out menus, share some ways that your customers can put together the ultimate game day package to serve their friends and family.
- Baby–it’s cold(er) outside: This is the time to boost your delivery business. Your customers are starting to “nest” a little more as the nights get colder and longer–so make it easy for them to still get their favorite food by promoting your online ordering and delivery business. Update your social pages and send out a small Fall delivery promo via email.
- Holiday happenings: Start to plan out the holiday season now! This Fall, how could you maximize Columbus Day, Veteran’s Day, Halloween, Grandparent’s Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, and beyond? Offer a “Bring a Grandma to Dinner” special–where grandparents eat free with the family. Offer a special Columbus Day brunch or lunch deal when your customer’s might be home from work. Get ahead of the curve–and share your calendar with your customers.
- Think catering–If you offer catering options, start sharing those now! This is the time of year when families, companies, and organizations start to gather in groups, so maximize the opportunity. Put together your catering packages in an easy to understand format, train your staff on taking orders, and being promoting this offering!
- It’s gift card season–Make sure this a center piece in your marketing offerings this Fall. Most restaurants wait until December to showcase their gift card offerings–but so many of your customers start shopping much earlier. Can you offer a free app, drink, or special gift for gift card purchasers as well? Start a content with your FOH staff for gift card sales. Whatever you do–start marketing it early!
In our next Fall series post, the Restaurant Marketing team at ChowNow has put together their best marketing ideas for Fall. You won’t want to miss it!
Latest posts by Mike Ganino (see all)
- 5 Restaurant Hiring Tips for Recruiting an All-Star Staff - March 8, 2018
- The Pre-Shift Game Every GM Should Play to Increase Restaurant Sales - January 27, 2017
- Back to the Future: Restaurant Technology Edition - October 21, 2015